- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cip thinly sliced English (seedless) cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red or yellow bell pepper strips
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Dash course (kosher or sea) salt
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz halloumi cheese (not sliced)
- 8 flour tortillas for soft tacos
Trim ends from zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler to make long, thin ribbons of zucchini. For veggie filling, place zucchini ribbons, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives and basil in large bowl. For dressing, in small bowl, beat oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper with whisk; pour over vegetable mixture, and toss to coat.
Heat gas or charcoal grill. Cut block of cheese in half horizontally to form 2 blocks. Place both blocks of cheese directly on grill over high heat. Cook uncovered 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Remove from grill. Cut each grilled cheese block into 12 cubes to make 24 cubes.
Heat tortillas on grill about 30 seconds or until warm, turning once. Fill tortillas with veggie filling, and top with grilled cheese.
Note - Halloumi cheese is a firm white cheese made from sheep's milk. It browns and keeps its shape when grilled.
Special thanks to Betty Crocker for this Mediterranean-inspired Summer dish.