Saturday, March 31, 2012
Well, it's been a whole year since this picture was taken and it's already time for the 2012 Warrior Dash!
Something tells me though that I am just not meant to run this race. Last year I sprained my ankle after the third obstacle and this year...well...I sprained my knee a week before the big event! Can you believe it?!
It continues to be a goal of mine to actually cross the finish line of the 3.11 Hellish mile course with no injuries, but this year is not my year. I am actually somewhat afraid of even registering for next year's race. But Warriors do not give up. I WILL conquer the course...some day...
Hey, at least I went into the hospital in style last year. I mean, how cool is that viking hat?! And this year I have a sweet wrap around my knee... :)
Good luck to my fellow JGA Vikings - may you take on the course with all your might and may you return home injury-free!
Friday, March 30, 2012
Thursday, March 29, 2012
It's the little things, right?!
I can't stand it when people just walk right through as if it's someone else's job to hold a door for them. When did our world become filled with people who have this false notion that they are entitled to better treatment than others?
Gratitude goes a long way. And so do manners...
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
I have been searching for yummy recipes to help get me through the month and this is one that just sounds so incredibly delicious to me. I am a big fan of tofu, but for some reason whenever I buy it, I let it sit in my fridge until it's past the expiration date, and then I toss it. I don't know why I do that. I guess maybe it's because I am not used to it as a "go-to" food. Meat has always been an option for me so now that I'll be eliminating meat for a while, I'm excited to make tofu a staple in my diet.
TLT (Tofu, Lettuce, Tomato) recipe from EatingWell Magazine:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
- 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
Ingredient Note: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
3. Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
4. Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.
Monday, March 26, 2012
Wow! I love this quote. What a great reminder as we enter this new week.
I've never been one to really plan out my life. Of course I have goals and aspirations, but I've never been one to say "at this age I want this... and at this age I want that..." I've always just kind of flown by the seat of my pants when it comes to living my life and this quote just reminded me why it's a good reason to do that.
Have a great week my friends!
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
I am not normally a fan of pork chops, but I can't help but wonder if this recipe from Cooking Light would change my opinion. It sounds delicious!
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup diced seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- Cooking spray
1. Combine 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, oregano, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and garlic in a zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag, and seal. Marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature, turning after 10 minutes. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, yogurt, 1 tablespoon dill, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Cover and chill. Combine tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Sprinkle tomato mixture with 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss to combine.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove pork from bag, and discard marinade. Sprinkle both sides of pork evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add pork to pan, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove pork from pan, and let stand for 2 minutes. Place 3/4 cup tomato mixture on each of 4 plates, and top each serving with 1 pork chop and about 3 tablespoons yogurt mixture.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
We want life to be easy, but workouts should be hard. Push yourself HARDER. Don't give up. Don't give in. When you start to hear a negative voice telling you to quit, don't!
You'll be a BETTER person.
You'll be able to move FASTER and do things more efficiently when you see how much energy working out gives you.
And you'll be STRONGER. The strength you'll see will be physical and mental. You'll be an unstoppable force.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
This week, I'd like to give thanks to Pinterest.
What did we ever do without all the fabulous boards filled with all of the world's pins? It's so fun to see what people share and the creative ideas are endless.
Thankfully I don't have quite the 24/7 addiction that others do, but I can definitely get carried away for hours at a time when I do sign in.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
I was just talking with a girlfriend of mine the other day about making quinoa and she asked how I prepare mine. Typically, I like it just plain with nothing added at all, but sometimes I'll switch it up and cook it with chicken broth instead of water or I'll add garlic and a little bit of tomato sauce to add some flavor.
Today I stumbled upon a few great recipes compliments of Cooking Light Magazine. This one in particular caught my eye and I'll definitely be trying it out:
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, wine, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and cool slightly.
2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa, cherries, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.
Enjoy, my friends!
Monday, March 12, 2012
Are you avoiding doing something because you are afraid? What is it that you are you afraid of?
Failing? Failure is the only way you can learn from mistakes.
Being Embarrassed? Don't let others' opinions stop you from doing what you want.
You are the only one who can let fear control you, so don't! Take risks, learn from errors, grow as a person and do what makes you happy.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Monday, March 5, 2012
Sunday, March 4, 2012
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Friday, March 2, 2012
Well my dear friends, I am hoping to be better about posting. Life has been keeping me very busy but I must admit I miss sharing my little bits of goodness on a daily basis with you.
So, to start things off on this fabulous Fitness Friday - here's what I hope will be a little bit of inspiration for you to work hard for the body you deserve! What's your reason for making fitness a high priority in your life?