Tuesday, March 27, 2012

T.L.T.

I've made the decision to eat completely vegetarian for the month of April. It's one of the items on my Day Zero Project's 101 things to do in 1001 days list and I'm going to take the plunge next month. It's something I've always been curious about trying and what better time than now to do it?

I have been searching for yummy recipes to help get me through the month and this is one that just sounds so incredibly delicious to me. I am a big fan of tofu, but for some reason whenever I buy it, I let it sit in my fridge until it's past the expiration date, and then I toss it. I don't know why I do that. I guess maybe it's because I am not used to it as a "go-to" food. Meat has always been an option for me so now that I'll be eliminating meat for a while, I'm excited to make tofu a staple in my diet.


TLT (Tofu, Lettuce, Tomato) recipe from EatingWell Magazine:

Ingredients -
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
  • 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
  • 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
  • 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
  • 2 medium tomatoes, sliced

    Ingredient Note:
    Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Directions -
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.

3. Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.

4. Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment