Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quinoa.With.Cherries.


I was just talking with a girlfriend of mine the other day about making quinoa and she asked how I prepare mine. Typically, I like it just plain with nothing added at all, but sometimes I'll switch it up and cook it with chicken broth instead of water or I'll add garlic and a little bit of tomato sauce to add some flavor.

Today I stumbled upon a few great recipes compliments of Cooking Light Magazine. This one in particular caught my eye and I'll definitely be trying it out:

Ingredients -
  • 1 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions -
1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, wine, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and cool slightly.

2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa, cherries, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.

Enjoy, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment